Code of Ethics
The Paramedics of Peel strive to deliver the highest quality of pre-hospital medical care. As leaders in the advancement of our profession, the Peel Paramedic Association strives to enhance pre-hospital care by promoting public awareness, supporting research and continuing medical education. Paramedics are dedicated to preservation of the public health, and must perform their duties under a standard of professional behavior while adhering to the highest principles of ethical conduct. We endeavor to guard the public interest by adhering to the following rules of practice.
Paramedics, in the fulfillment of their professional duties, shall:
1. Hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public.
2. Perform delegated medical acts only in areas of their certification and competence.
3. Act for each patient as confidant, and avoid deceptive acts.
4. Conduct themselves honorably, responsibly, ethically, and lawfully so as to enhance the honor, reputation and usefulness of the profession.
5. Encourage, promote and engage in public awareness programs so as to protect the public interest.
6. Affiliate ourselves with educational institutions for the purpose of enhancing our knowledge base through research and continuing medical education.
1. Paramedic shall, hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public.
a) Preserve and protect life or the quality of life, promote good health and alleviate pain and suffering in whatever form that may be present.
b) While caring for a patient, regard responsibility to that patient first and foremost and deliver treatment accordingly.
c) Ensure that medical care be equal and accessible to all people.
2. Paramedic shall, perform delegated medical acts only in areas of their certification and competence.
a) Provide care based on human need, and deliver such care without prejudice, with compassion and respect for human dignity and rights. Performing skills to the highest level of their training.
b) Maintain certification according to provincial legislation based on appropriate level of training and relevant service and base hospital policies.
c) Ensure that continuing medical education requirements are completed in an appropriate and timely manner to provide maximum benefit from new skills to the public.
3. Paramedic shall, act for each patient as confidant and avoid deceptive acts.
a) Maintain confidentiality for every patient of any information collected during contact with that patient in accordance with Provincial confidentiality legislation.
b) Be objective and truthful, include all relevant and pertinent information in all reports, written or verbal, as it pertains to the assessment, care and treatment of every patient.
c) Paramedics shall not falsify or misrepresent their qualifications or scope of practice in any way, no matter what the intent.
4. Paramedics shall, conduct themselves honorably, responsibly, ethically and lawfully so as to enhance the honor, reputation and usefulness of the profession.
a) Perform his/her duties in a responsible manner and adhere to all local and federal laws pertaining to human rights and codes of ethical behavior.
b) Shall accept personal responsibility for their actions.
c) Maintain the trust and confidence of the public through high standards of professional practice, conduct, competence and professional mannerism and appearance.
d) Safeguard any and all professional knowledge, skills and equipment, including all federally controlled Pharmaceuticals that may reflect poorly on the profession should they be misplaced for any reason.
5. Paramedic shall, Encourage, promote and engage in public awareness programs so as to protect the public interest.
a) Accept the responsibility to participate in activities that directly contribute to the improvement of the community which they serve and to the betterment of the public health.
b) Endeavor to expand and extend public knowledge and appreciation of the paramedic profession, its history and all of its achievements.
6. Paramedics shall, affiliate ourselves with educational institutions for the purpose of enhancing our knowledge base through research and continuing medical education.
a) Continue to study, commit ourselves to medical education and make relevant information accessible to colleagues and the public. Seek advice when required and use the talents of other health professionals when indicated.
b) Encourage the evolution of College and University programs to enhance the quality of graduating Paramedics and ensure that the nature and scope of medical training and certification will continue to grow.